'

[Irl-dean] Science and Technology Meeting

Frank Mulcahy fmulcahy at iol.ie
Thu Jan 19 09:22:31 GMT 2006

The next session of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development will occur from 15-19 May in Geneva. No word on whether or not there will be discussion on modifying its mandate and structure in light of the WSIS.  My understanding is that until ECOSOC considers the request of the WSIS at its next substantive session in July, that the CSTD continues to operate under its old mandate and structure.  And thus only NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC will be allowed to participate.  This is the relevant section from the "Tunis Agenda":

  105.     We request that ECOSOC oversees the system- wide follow-up of the Geneva and Tunis outcomes of WSIS. To this end, we request that ECOSOC, at its substantive session of 2006, reviews the mandate, agenda and composition of the Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD), including considering the strengthening of the Commission, taking into account the multi-stakeholder approach.

The ECOSOC substantive session is from July 3-28 in Geneva.

Frank Mulcahy,
'Franmar',
2 Castle Village Court,
Celbridge,