'

[Irl-dean] Assistance with Accessibility Metadata Standardisation?

Barry McMullin mcmullin at eeng.dcu.ie
Fri Feb 10 14:22:28 GMT 2006

Hi Folks -

I received the message below via W3C Education and Outreach
Group, with a request to pass it on...

Best - Barry.

Date:   Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:54:35 +0900
Sender: DCMI Accessibility Group <DC-ACCESSIBILITY at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
From:   Liddy Nevile <liddy at SUNRISERESEARCH.ORG>
Subject: Your assistance please!

Folks,

as you know we are working hard to get the accessibility metadata
organised for standardisation by ISO. In particular, I am working
hard to ensure it is useful in the DC context, and to you. It is
already out for public comment and the countries involved are due
to submit their votes within the next two weeks. If you are not
aware of all this, please consult the information already
available on the DC Accessibility Working Group's pages (see
<http://dublincore.org/groups/access/>).

To prepare the draft, we did the best we could to simplify the
information gathering that is necessary. I am writing to ask you
to please, help us by looking at the two forms on the Web and
trying to create metadata using them for some resources -
composite, atomic, whatever you like. The forms are not beautiful
and accessible, for which I apologise, but they should be good in
the short term for feedback, if you are generous enough to help
us.

The aim of asking you to try these forms is not to determine what
interface is easiest to use etc, which will be important later,
but to see if we can get a quick indication of how it is easiest
to gather the information we need for the AccessForAll
approach. It may be helpful if you would use both forms for some
resources. We hope you can help. It might use half an hour of
your time now but, hopefully, save hours and hours in the long
term.

The forms are on my personal Website so they do the right thing
and we can collect the data (I don't have the skills to do this
any other way, sorry).  We are asking you to try to use real
resources just so that you can really see if you can create the
metadata - but I promise nothing will be done with the
information you submit other than to see what it looks like and
how manageable it will be. You are welcome to use false URIs for
resources, if you like, as that won't matter to us. We certainly
will not be making a big deal of your ability to create metadata
(or otherwise!).

It will help a lot if you can spare this time, and please, send
any comments to me about the process or anything else you think
is important, or, if you wish, to the list.

Form 1: <http://www.ozewai.org/A4A/Draft-AP-6-1.html>
Form 2: <http://www.ozewai.org/A4A/Draft-AP-6-2.html>

In anticipation of your help,

Liddy