'

[Irl-dean] FW: Join the Content Label Incubator Group (Call for Participation)

Paul Walsh, Segala paul at segala.com
Mon Feb 13 10:38:25 GMT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I wonder if I can encourage any of you to take part in the W3C's very first
incubator activity. The objective of the activity is to propose a method of
content labelling on the Internet. It is likely that this method will
replace PICS; a W3C recommendation that's currently used by MSIE for
filtering - badly.

I helped setup this activity with Phil Archer from ICRA and Daniel
Appelquist from Vodafone so if you have any questions please let me know, or
post them directly to the public mailing list (see below).

I foresee this enabling Trust on the Internet as it enables search engines,
browsers and other tools to interpret and make use of trusted metadata for
search annotation and/or search filtering. Some people call this individual
or personalised search.

It is assumed that the Trustmark for the W3C Mobile Web Initiative
(mobileOK) will be in the form of a content label with a visual Trustmark as
an 'extra'. Segala are co-editors of mobileOK with Google and ICRA. So,
Yahoo! proposing RDF-CL as the formal method for content labelling and
Google proposing it for mobile search...

So, there's two different messages in this email so allow me to make it even
more confusing, this method of adding Trust IMHO will change how the
commercial industry will accept web accessibility! We can now apply labels
to user profiles which will enable users to specify their individual
requirements rather than lumping them all in WAI categories.

Imagine a user selecting a tick box in their preferences that represents
'only return search results containing sites that support text resizing',
I'm already having this conversation with Google. If anyone's interested
I'll point you to some resources where you can read more about this.

In case you're wondering, this is V relevant to this group as it will be the
formal method of applying machine-readable Trustmarks on the Internet. For
those of you familiar with EARL, RDF-CL is similar but will be perceived as
'trusted claims', rather that historical test assertions.

Feel free to give me a shout directly if you'd like more information. I have
also attached Steve Bratt's original email to all the W3C AC's.

Kind regards,
Paul
P.s. perhaps I should send around an intro so you know who I am :)

-----
CEO
Segala

New website goes live this month!