'

[Irl-dean] ICT-Expo

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Thu Feb 23 09:58:24 GMT 2006

How about a demo showing what can go wrong with a site along with one
showing how things can be arranged to go right?

Supposing stand visitors were shown a site, maybe a fictitious site
which looks good visually, made with dozens of nested tables and
carrying key images with no alt text, followed by a demo of the JAWS
experience of the same site (black screen, nonsensical linearized text,
no mention of important graphic information, impossible navigation,
impossible orientation), then a demo of the same site remade with
universal design in mind, visually identical but with the code rebuilt
with CSS so that JAWS runs through it with ease.

The point being to give non-disabled visitors a practical awarenes of
how awful inaccessibility feels to a person with disability, coupled
with a practical demonstration that the same site can be built with full
accessibility but without compromise on the visual aesthetics.

Most business people haven't grasped that inaccessability is a hurtful
insult when you're the one that can't get access as they only encounter
the customers who make it past the barriers - their sense of fair play
hasn't come into action because they don't realise anybody is being
treated unfairly. They also don't know ther are always alternative
methods that don't cost more to eliminate the issue -- and this is
unfortunately true of many of the art school trained Dreamweaver crowd
in the web industry. One problem may be that Vis. Comm.  may still be
being taught by people who originally trained back in the Letraset and
spraymount days and haven't made the mental transition to online beyond
the superficial assumption that a screen is a kind of page that you lay
out in pixels instead of points.

The key message for any outreach to business may be best kept simple -
"Inaccessibility is awful, so why are you still doing it when
accessibility is so straightforward".

Should we be producing a pamphlet/web tutorial on "How to buy an
accessible web design" to go with the stand? There are two audiences
here, people who build sites and people who buy sites. Two different
messages can be needed as their information gaps are different.

Having a screen reader user on the stand to talk with people and dispel
myths about visual impairment might be very fruitful in terms of
consciousness raising.

How about a black list of "expert" web design advice sites that promote
bad methods that undermine accessibility?

Regarding the business case for accessiblity, I think that usually flops
because consumers with disabilities haven't sufficiently flexed their
muscles either by positively endorsing and promoting good accessibility
products and sites or by loudly boycotting companies that make no
effort. Companies per se don't see a bottom line benefit (except where
there is a regulatory fine in question), but company executives as
individuals may be reached emotionally with talk of fair play and
similar motivations, even suggestions that accessibility can be
shamelessly exploited for PR advantage.

Eamon