'

[Irl-dean] ICT-Expo

Paul Walsh, Segala paul at segala.com
Fri Feb 24 12:20:31 GMT 2006

Just so you know, we've partnered with Mozilla's premier Firefox developer
who also maintain their development community website www.spreadfirefox.com.
We are going to release a Firefox extension in a few weeks with a full
browser thereafter. Mozilla have stated that they will include the new
technology in the mainstream browser and Lycos Europe are looking for their
own branded browser too. Lot's of associations are looking for their own but
these remain confidential.

So, what's the point? Well, I'd like to invite the group to come up with
requirements for an extension that will suit specific user types or one that
fits as much as possible. Perhaps the CRC has specific requirements?

The browser will include technology that hasn't been released yet. User
profiles and bookmarks are stored and update dynamically. This means that
users with the same browser can be located anywhere in the world and still
have access to their bookmarks and browser configuration. We can brand it to
suit the needs of the owner. It has the most powerful child protection
functionality that I'll tell you about if asked.

I'm open to suggestions and welcome your thoughts. We can run with this as a
structured project. We could even survey the public or target various
disabled communities.

There's no catch, look at this as Segala's contribution to Ireland as we
haven't actually done any accessibility work in our homeland yet :)

So, we'll pick up the cost. If you think this is a good idea we can open up
a separate thread or forum posting.

Cheers