'

[Irl-dean] Mozilla Extensions (was ICT-Expo)

Joshue O Connor joshue.oconnor at ncbi.ie
Fri Feb 24 13:01:21 GMT 2006

Hi Paul,

This may be something of interest to CFIT, however I need a little clarification please.

> Well, I'd like to invite the group to come up with
>> requirements for an extension that will suit specific user types or one that
>> fits as much as possible.

What does that mean? Are you referring to a browser extension that duplicates what a screen reader does or has widgets that somehow help those with motor impairments? I can see how  a developer would use the accessibility tool bar to  develop accessible websites, but I am curious about how other extensions would be of use to an end user, especially when there are many applications that already serve those with Assistive Technology requirements. Or would these new extensions quickly become redundant, or just add another layer of complexity?

For example, how many end users use many of the features already within their browser? A great example is the resize icon in IE, its very useful but so few use it , or they don't even know it is there!

I don't wish to tone of this mail to seem confrontational, as that is not my intention, I just need clarification as to what you mean by "extensions" for the end user (as distinct from "developer extensions").

>> The browser will include technology that hasn't been released yet. User
>> profiles and bookmarks are stored and update dynamically. This means that
>> users with the same browser can be located anywhere in the world and still
>> have access to their bookmarks and browser configuration.

This does sound very similar to what Flock are doing with their new browser.
(Anyone interested can download the development version at http://www.flock.com/)

Best Regards

Josh

Joshue O Connor

Web Accessibility Consultant

**Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)* *
National Council for the Blind of Ireland

Website:http://www.cfit.ie
E-Mail: joshue.oconnor at cfit.ie Tel: +353 1 8821915