'

[Irl-dean] ICT-Expo

brendan spillane brendan at ilikecake.net
Mon Feb 27 17:49:53 GMT 2006

Hi Gerry

The figure of 8% (8.3% actually) is taken from the CSO file which I have
attached. This information came from the census of 28 April 2002. This is
the most up to date information of which I was in possession of but as the
organisation responsible for the document you are putting forward was setup
in November 1993 I will undertake to study it.

The reason that I would suggest using CSO statistics is because of the
weight the name lends to the argument. Most people know of the CSO and their
reputation for providing unbiased information.

To quote a famous line from Homer Simpson* "**Oh, people can come up with
statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that**"*

For organisations undertaking their own research the interpretation of
information and even the questions posed and the way they're posed can in
many cases skew the results unknowingly. This is not to suggest that the
Commission on the Status of People with Disabilities is wrong but it is not
independent.

Of course my argument here is based on what the CSO deems as a disability
which may in fact be different to the Commission on the Status of People
with Disabilities.

As to your statement that 60% of the population would benefit from assistive
technologies I am in agreement with you on that and actually believe that
everybody benefits from an accessible design, in which the site map is up to
date and the navigation is created with users in mind and not just
innovative designs.

If anyone else can shed some light on this discussion I would appreciate it.

Regards Brendan