'

[Irl-dean] Question

Joshue O Connor joshue.oconnor at ncbi.ie
Wed Mar 1 16:00:15 GMT 2006

Hi All,

> Drupal is a free open source CMS.

Also have a look at XOOPS (www.xoops.org)
It's quite customisable and a colleague of mine involved in the EUAIN
(www.euain.org) network rates as a nice open source CMS that can be customised
to be quite accessible.

The creation of an accessible CMS is something that I would love to be
able to devote more time to if there were more hours in the day:)

>> At the moment Dreamweaver's default is to implement code which has been
>> deprecated by the W3C.

There are many gripes with Dreamweaver and other editors but it has improved.
Macromedia (now Adobe) have many very capable and savvy
developers working with them such as Andrew Kirkpatrick and Bob Regan.
These guys know their stuff. And also  of course, Joe Clark who seems to be an
honorary Adobe employee these days ;)

When talking about code that has been deprecated you probably mean
HTML 4. I'd be careful about this, as what the W3C calls a standard is
really only a recommendation or an example of  "future" best practice. It may
announce that this is the new "standard" and what has come before is to be
considered "deprecated" but what is the use if the new "standard"  if it is not supported?

CSS 2 anyone? This "standard" was drawn up in 1997 and much of it is still not
supported by Microsoft's IE.

There is nothing wrong with HTML 4 and it is widely supported
by many Assistive Technology user agents whereas support for nice
shiny new XHTML is often patchy or non existent, even if it is a
W3C "recommendation". Welcome to the disconnect between practical
accessibility and so called "standards".

> I'd like to see Irl-DeAN stick very much within a local Irish
> context. I think we're doing some good work. The three or four lobbying
> efforts we have aready done concerning Irish policy and legislation. Our
> seminars touching on topics of Irish interest. And our working group on
> design for all within Irish curricula. These are all examples of where
> we should focus the group efforts in order to do things that would
> otherwise not happen here.

Mark is right. Irl-Dean must focus on the Irish context in order to be
truly effective. We need to focus our energies in a practical manner to
avoid dissipating them fruitlessly.

Brendan, and let me know how you get on with Xoops/Drupal.

Cheers

Josh