'

[Irl-dean] Hi everyone

Paul Walsh, Segala paul at segala.com
Thu Mar 2 00:42:30 GMT 2006

Hi Tim,

Two things could happen, filtering and search annotation. This is a bit hard
to explain in short so please grab a coffee, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Content Filtering
Search engines and browsers could provide additional user preferences that
enables users to filter content  based on their individual requirements. So,
it's potential customers who would do the filtering, not search engines and
browsers. Although that's not to say they won't change the ranking system in
the future to make search results more trustworthy.

Benefits to the End User (Potential Customer)
Users could see a section in search engine or browser preferences that are
specific to accessibility. For example, a user could choose to select a tick
box that says only display websites that support text resizing. This places
the power of search relevance in users hands as it means sites that don't
support text resizing won't be displayed in search results.

We believe that enabling users to potentially filter out websites that don't
meet their individual needs, will encourage search marketing companies and
online budget owners to embrace accessibility, perhaps for search engine
optimisation (SEO) reasons only. This is starting to get some coverage in
the media in the UK, see attached for a teaser story. We're issuing a news
release about this next week.

Benefits to Website Owners
Website owners would see their competitors that don't make accessibility
claims, filtered out of search results, leaving them with more potential
customers.

Website owners could make claims about the current status of their site
before they make any improvements. So, if the only positive design technique
about a particular site is that it supports text resizing, then make this
conformance claim to ensure your site is found by potential customers who
have opted for that preference. This encourages them to include more best
practice design considerations as they can now couple them with real
potential customers. Search preferences would never be based on WCAG
priority levels as they don't represent user profiles. So visual logos that
only represent compliance with WCAG priority levels will have limited
benefit.

Our own certificate allows websites to make individual declarations about
compliance rather than force them to comply with single A, double A or
triple A. Although it does support these categories as well as 508 if
required.

Benefits to Web developers and usability and accessibility companies
These companies can sell accessibility to clients as it's now much easier to
associate checkpoints with real potential customers. The threat of their
site being filtered out should encourage them to include as many best
practice design considerations as possible. Allowing customers to display a
Trustmark that makes individual claims and a statement of ongoing commitment
while they make continuous improvements is a key selling point too.

Search Annotation
Search engines and browsers could also annotate search results to highlight
trusted sites. For example, websites that make claims about accessibility
and have been verified by an independently accessibility expert.

Search annotation is in existence today already. That is, when you perform a
search, the results contain a hyperlink picked up from the title tag and
information about the site from the description tag. The additional search
annotation I'm talking about could come in the form of a non branded icon
beside the title. Upon clicking on the icon you could be presented with a
certificate that provides the claims that can be trusted. Go to
www.trustwatch.com to see what AskJeeves and the security Trustmarks are
doing.

This would enable users to search the Web and make an informed decision
before they enter particular sites.

In my humble opinion, we don't want to encourage filtering just yet because
there are too few websites that carry Content Labels.

The visual logo is one thing and a certificate enabling users to provide
feedback is another, but the Content Label is the most valuable as it
enables all of this to happen.

Process
Website includes meta tag on certified webpage
Website includes a visual Trustmark on webpage
Visual Trustmark is hyperlinked to an XHTML certificate that resides on the
trusted third party's server. Certificate displays information about the
claims, who's making them, who's verified them etc.
Content Label is created and resides on the trusted third party's server.
This contains RDF (Semantic) metadata that represents all the information
displayed on the visual certificate.

User conducts a search.
Search engine spiders the web and before returning the search results it
reads the meta tags on each page.
Search engine notices the tag as above and then searches for the specified
Content Label to see what claims the site owner is making. This process is
authenticated with the W3C and Segala (or other) namespace within the
Content Label. It is this information that would be used to annotate or
filter search results.
Trust is given because the metadata (accessibility claims) is not stored on
the labelled site.

Hope this helps! We haven't documented an accessibility use case for Content
Labels just yet so this email is a practice run, sorry! :)

Kind regards,
Paul (need a coffee)