'

[Irl-dean] Hi everyone

Paul Walsh, Segala paul at segala.com
Thu Mar 2 10:56:15 GMT 2006

You're absolutely right Tim :)

However, the industry is gearing up towards Content Labels.

I've given a keynote fireside chat in front of the heads of policy for
Microsoft MSN, BT, BBC, Ofcom, Vodafone, Yahoo!, GSMA and others. The chat
was to talk about Content Labelling. Most of them are keen to do this.

We're helping a number of other Trustmark Providers setup a certification
system based on Content Labels. ICRA is doing the same. One example is PEGI,
the European games rating association - they're now moving to Content Labels
for all online games rating.

Microsoft currently use an old W3C recommendation called PICS for content
filtering in Internet Explorer. The method I'm discussing (RDF-CL) is being
proposed as a replacement.

We're getting a lot of attention in the UK from agencies who want to partner
with us for the provision of our Trustmark, for the visual trust and for the
machine-readable element. Some examples include foviance who are the UK's
largest Usability company and were responsible for helping the RNIB setup
their accessibility consultancy. They have recently stopped using the see it
right logo. Agency Republic is another good example because they were voted
Digital Marketing Agency of the Year 2005.

The incubator activity (RDF-CL) includes Yahoo! as a propose.

The W3C Mobile Web Initiative Trustmark won't come in the form of a visual
logo like WAI. It will only come in the form of a Content Label. The
co-editors of this document include Segala, ICRA and Google.

That's the two main search engines that seem to like the idea.

Answer two
Every certified URL is listed on our TrustServ (trusted database) along with
all the claims for each one. The important element is that some pages will
end up inaccessible to a certain degree at some point in time. If this
happens, end users can report their findings directly to Segala using the
report form on the certificate. You get to this certificate by clicking on
the Trustmark. Or if a company doesn't want to display a visual logo, it can
be as small as a piece of hypertext in the footer.

We're building a system to allow the public verify URLs from our site but
this is not due for another 2 to 3 months. Our content labelling system will
be made public around the same time.

Hope this helps :)