'

[Irl-dean] All this Directive stuff

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Thu Mar 2 13:01:39 GMT 2006

This discussion of Iarnrod's inaccessible timetable suggests there is a
need for an access enforcement body that would have a two-stage
approach, one gentle and then one with sharp teeth. First it should draw
the miscreant's attention to the issue and gently but firmly suggest the
kind of remedy that would rectify the situation within a shortish
prescribed timespan or period of grace, then follow up with a thoroughly
relentless and punitive enforcement stage for those not prepared to take
the hint and fix things.

Lack of time or resources is not a good enough excuse for postponement
of accessibility. Looked at another way (from the perspective of the
Comptroller and Auditor General perhaps) isn't it by definition an abuse
of public funds for a state entity to build anything that categorically
excludes a defined part of the citizenry who are actually paying for it?

I suppose the planning system would be an equivalent enforcement
situation: a developer has calm, collaborative meetings with county
planners to put him straight on what will or won't be tolerated in his
application. If he gets permission and goes ahead and builds something
that isn't compliant he may find himself receiving an enforcement order
requiring complete cessation of work and removal of the offending structure.

Does anybody know if any other enforcement arm of the government
compliance machinery follows this tough line model?

Also how far is the disability authority from playing such a role?

Should we be helping to define and lobbying for an extended set of
enforcement powers?

There are very serious accessibility and general usability issues with
many packaging approaches used in the grocery trade, so it isn't just a
question of online content standards enforcement or of monitoring public
service activity.

Eamon