'

[Irl-dean] Irish rail website

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Fri Mar 3 18:20:30 GMT 2006

Your rant is entirely justified, Tim.

Shouldn't we all get confrontational with Iarnrod? As they are a pretty
clear and conspicuous example of what can go wrong when people who don't
care about accessibility are in charge of resources and facilities that
are of crucial importance to people with disabilities, particularly
visual disabilities. Blind people are a very frequent feature of public
transport in Ireland nowadays, thankfully, but it may be time for the
sighted public to know just how hard Iarnrod are making it for them to
take up and use this entitlement. I'm not thinking of the excellent
station staff I have observed many times ferrying visually impaired
people and their guide dogs to and from distant platforms on the golf
cart, but about the smug crowd in the marketing and IT departments who
seem to imagine there can actually be a higher priority than a customer
who is completely excluded from access to purchasing information.

By confrontational I mean we could all individually fire off informative
rants to Iarnrod, to the Minister, and to national news outlets, and do
some virtual rioting to get attention for the issue.

Eamon