'

[Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

brendan spillane brendan at ilikecake.net
Mon Mar 27 14:27:20 IST 2006

Hi everyone

I have a problem….

Recently I have come across cases where website developers are falsely
claiming accessibility for the websites of some organisations.

One of these, a major website developer is claiming accessibility for
2 government websites which are in fact not accessible. I have
contacted the information officer responsible for these websites to
inquire about this.

She replied to me that she has already had one person report to here
that one of the sites was not accessible. She then passed this
information on to the developer but has received no feedback.

The IO does seem genuinely interested in the accessibility of the
websites and has said that as a government body it should be in place.
However she also stated that as nobody in their office is a developer
they have had no way of checking.

In my opinion this is a case where the developer is outright lying to
their clients and at the moment getting away with it.

I would like to know has anyone experienced similar problems before
and does anybody have suggestions for dealing with it?

With Regards

Brendan Spillane
MD ilikecake limited

www.ilikecake.net