'

[Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Tue Mar 28 09:16:33 IST 2006

Barry McMullin wrote:

>Eamon argued that sometimes "Transitional is right because
>the page wants to do something Strict won't allow"; but I'm
>finding it hard to come up with an example. Could you be a bit
>more specific Eamon?

The benefit in question was backward compatibility with certain very
ancient IE and Netscape versions that we had to support at the time. We
needed "center", for example, as proper CSS implementation wasn't
necessarily a given at the client end. Obviously this was a benefit for
visual rendering consistency and wasn't of significance for screen
reader users.

Eamon