'

[Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

Tim Culhane tim.culhane at criticalpath.net
Tue Mar 28 09:38:07 IST 2006

Hi,

With reference   to how to Identify link targets clearly,  I personally
believe that this comes down to context.

If the target  can be established from the context in which the link appears
then I see no problem with using  links with the same name which point to
different locations.

However, this is extremely subjective and would require hands on user
testing to verify.

One example of where context is not easy to determine is where users use the
list of links dialogue in jaws.

 Given that user testing is not always fully used, on the whole I would
strongly urge developers to clearly distinguish  link titles.

Many blind users, especially beginners, will be confused if one or more
links on  a page have the same name but point to different locations.

Indeed, I doubt that sighted people would be too clear either  if they see
two links  both pointing to 'environment' but end up in different places?

if using the list of links dialogue in jaws, it is impossible to  determine
any  context from the link titles.

Cheers,

tim