'

[Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

drice at nda.ie drice at nda.ie
Tue Mar 28 12:57:39 IST 2006

Thanks  Paul for this.

Paul Walsh wrote:

>       The big new question, of course, is who is going to
>       determine the appropriate baselines, and that is totally
>       up for grabs.  It certainly will *not* be the W3C.  For
>       preference, it should not be a simple "free for all" with
>       every site operator or developer arbitrarily setting
>       their own baseline.  In the Irish context, we would
>       possibly look to the NDA to set some guidance on this.
We are of course aware of this important issue coming down the line.  We
are doing a lot of work developing guidance resources at the moment and
are keeping an eye on developments at WAI. Most of our accessibility work
at NDA involves improving access to public services and as such we will
focus on providing clarifications and guidance for this sector in the
first instance.   Websites in the public sector should use the web
technologies that are the most widely accessible.  Any baseline
recommendations for the public sector in Ireland should not be so
restrictive so as to hinder innovation within the sector but should focus
on trying to get the basics right.

>Baseline technologies is an extremely complicated area that will
undoubtedly
>create a massive debate. I like the idea of conducting this within
irl-dean
>on the premise that it has the time and technical expertise regarding
user
>agent capabilities, user profiles, accessibility implementations and
>internationalisation. I hate to make assumptions but I doubt the NDA has
all
>the relevant expertise in house.

Assume away!  As always I would be very interested in and open to be
informed by the experience and opinions of people on this list.

Regards,
Dónal Rice
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or enttities other than the intended recipient is prohibated. If you received this in erro, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. It is the policy of the National Disability Authority to disallow the sending of offensive material and should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also mailminder at nda.gov.ie".