'

[Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

Barry McMullin mcmullin at eeng.dcu.ie
Wed Mar 29 17:11:03 IST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Mark Magennis wrote:

> The false claims you have come across are by no means unusual. In April
> 2004, Ennis Information Age Services assessed the websites of 30
> randomly selected Government Departments and agencies. Of the three
> sites that displayed the WCAG conformance logo, two of them did so
> inappropriately, as they were actually found to be non-compliant. I
> don't have it to hand, but I seem to remember the recent UK cabinet
> office sponsored report may have included similar findings. Barry?

Well, this wasn't actually something we looked at; that is, we
did not systematically examine sites for accessibility "claims"
to be compared with "reality" - we just looked at the "reality".

Of course, insofar as the vast majority of the sites examined did
fail fairly comprehensively even at level A of WCAG 1.0, it
is certainly true that, for whatever reasons, practical outcomes
are not yet matching clearly stated EU aspirations.

Best - Barry.