'

[Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

Barry McMullin mcmullin at eeng.dcu.ie
Wed Mar 29 17:37:12 IST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 drice at nda.ie wrote:
[...]

> The day was spent discussing the ins and out of these two methods, with
> big industry favouring the former and end users and disability groups
> advocating the latter method.  The EU department that hosted the event
> made no commitment either way and said that in-line with a communication
> they recently sent to the commission they would be spending the next 18
> month to 2 years researching this issue.  But it certainly seems that
> certification is the way the EU is headed on this issue of trying to
> ensure the accessibility of ICT products and services.  Certainly the work
> of the Support-EAM people will be interesting when it is published in the
> next month or two, I believe Barry?

Yes Dónal, we are working hard at tidying everything up.  The
project was due to formally end at the end of March, but there
are still some loose ends, so it is likely to run on for at least
another month, and perhaps more. While I would not want to
exaggerate what we have done, I think the process of comparing
three different web accessibility labelling schemes, from the
different countries, was particularly interesting.  Hopefully the
result of this will be published soon.  I shall certainly
broadcast a message here on irl-dean when that happens.

Best - Barry.