'

[Spam] RE: [Irl-dean] False Accessibility Developers

Paul Walsh, Segala paul at segala.com
Fri Mar 31 17:35:48 IST 2006

Visual trustmarks have limited benefit even when used by trusted third
parties. They may only appear on one page such as index.htm. Visitors may or
may not land on this page which means they won't know what claims are being
made about the site.

The W3C has learned from the use of visual logos alone, to demonstrate
compliance with best practices. The Mobile Web Initiative (MWI) trustmark
which is based on very similar best practices as WAI, doesn't even have a
visual logo.

The MWI Trustmark comes in the form of metadata only. To help tools such as
Google to determine and make use of trusted claims, there will be a
differentiator between sites that have been self labelled and sites that
have been verified by independent certificate providers.

The WAI is likely to adopt a similar concept in the future but it's debating
the technical implementation at present.

What's interesting is that the method I'm talking about is soon to replace
an old W3C recommendation called PICS, the content filter used by MSIE.

Cheers,
Paul

-------
CEO
Segala - Providing a Reliable, Consistent and Trusted Experience
www.segala.com

Mobile +44 (0)7734 606 453
-------
Gold Sponsor of Internet World 2006 - www.internetworld.co.uk