'

[Irl-dean] Guide to Good Practice in Commissioning Accessible Websites link

Matthew Ovington matthew.ovington at openinterface.ie
Tue Apr 11 16:02:48 IST 2006

hi everyone

I've bought a copy of the document - it's not helped by it's complex,
multi layered structure but I think it's a useful document for public
sector organisations grappling with accessibility. One point comes
across very clear and that's that making your website accessible is a
process, and not a one-off project. It follows that there are many
inputs, not all of which might be immediately apparent to commissioners
of accessible websites.

If you were a webmaster you could do a lot worse than getting a
Information Officer or IT Manager to read it, because (as is identified
in PAS78) the onus often falls on the webmaster to make a website
accessible / compliant and this approach simply isn't sustainable.

I think it should have been free though! I resented having to pay 30
quid for a boring standards document!

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:
> You can waste your hard earned cash or search for the answers on the W3C
> website [1]. The PAS78 might be useful for those who aren't familiar with
> accessibility, but it's certainly not going to add much value for those who
> are experienced (i.e. this list). The document isn't getting much traction
> with any of the experienced agencies that I'm familiar with in the UK.
>
> [1]
> http://www.e-consultancy.com/forum/103548-pas78-for-free.html?keywords=paulw
> alsh
>
> Paul

Best regards

Matthew

Open Interface Ltd
International House, Tara Street, Dublin 2
phone: +353 1 6360957        fax: +353 1 6360958
http://www.openinterface.ie

This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
privileged. The information is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify the sender by telephone or return
email and delete the material from your computer.