'

[Irl-dean] Guide to Good Practice in Commissioning Accessible Websites link

Mark Magennis mark.magennis at cfit.ie
Wed Apr 12 10:03:30 IST 2006

I second that. Apart from not being free (due to the BSI's funding
model) PAS78 reads a bit like a document produced by a standards body.
The formalised structure is off-putting. But I think it will be very
useful to its intended audience - people who want to procure
(commission) an accessible website but don't know how to go about it and
what kind of a process they should follow.

My main criticism is that there's just not enough in it. It's a bit thin
on advice and each subject is covered only superficially. I think they
could have done a lot more. But then maybe they did and, in true
standards body style, most of it got left out because it was deemed
"unacceptable" to one or two people. Some of the references are typical
of a committee-based approach - obviously someone wanting to get a
mention in, but not necessarily all that relevant or useful.

Wait for the NDA public procurement toolkit to be released. That should
be much better :-)

Mark