'

[Irl-dean] Guide to Good Practice in Commissioning Accessible Websites link

Mark Magennis mark.magennis at cfit.ie
Wed Apr 12 16:32:30 IST 2006

> I disagree with your point when you say if an understanding
> is achieved the right level becomes more obvious. How does it?

If you develop more understanding of how accessibility barriers arise
and the effects they have on individuals, you will then have a greater
ability to anticipate what issues might arise with your service and how
serious they will be. You can then prioritise your efforts and know the
implications of doing so. In contrast, if you have less understanding,
then questions of level - "should we include this checkpoint?", "should
we go for A or AA or AAA?" - become difficult to make an informed
decision about.

> There has been no case law in
> the UK or Ireland, so how do you know that by not implement a
> specific best
> practice technique you are not discriminating against person
> x. You can not
> support all of the people all of the time. Therefore you are going to
> exclude some people some of the time.

I don't understand the point you're making here. Can you try explaining
it in another way?

> If you think it's more obvious, perhaps you can tell us what
> guidelines
> should be implemented for a bank, mobile operator, content
> provider, shop
> keeper, retailer and blogger? How do you determine their
> potential customer base?

It is up to them to determine their potential customer base isn't it?
That's basic business. The more they know about accessibility, the more
accurately they will be able to determine the accessibility requirements
of their customer base. Then the more correctly they'll be able to
decide what guidelines they should implement. That's all I'm saying.

Hope that's clear.