'

[Irl-dean] Redevelopment of the NDA IT Accessibility Guidelines

drice at nda.ie drice at nda.ie
Thu May 4 13:03:22 IST 2006

Hi All,
the NDA IT Accessibility Guidelines, http://accessIT.nda.ie, are currently
being redeveloped.  I would greatly appreciate the feedback of members of
this group on these draft guidelines which are available on the NDA
website at
http://www.nda.ie/cntmgmtnew.nsf/0/34774EDB9EDC2A1E80256F8600431030?OpenDocument.

I look forward to a discussion of this content on the mailing list.  You
can also email queries or feedback directly at accessIT at nda.ie.

The redeveloped guidelines are made up of 4 sections:
"Web Accessibility Auditing - Guidance for Managers" is designed for
non-technical managers who wish to improve the accessibility of their
organisation's website.  It contains guidance on how to commission an
audit, what to expect from an audit, how best to use the results from the
audit to improve the accessibility of the website and how to use the whole
audit process to increase capacity among staff within the organisation
around accessibility.  I am particularly interested in hearing feedback
from auditors and people who have a lot of contact with non-technical
staff/managers.
"Web Accessibility Guidance" provides guidance for a range of people
involved in the development and maintenance of an accessible websites
including developers, designers, content creators and managers.  For
example the guidance for developers includes advice on best practice and
code snippets, the advice for managers deals with the business case for
accessibility and their legal obligations in this area.  i am particularly
interested in hearing the opinions of developers and designers here.
"Guidelines on Smart Cards and Media" deals with the accessibility of
Smart Cards a well as being a rewrite and update of the current NDA Public
Access Terminal guidelines.
 "ICT Procurement Toolkit" - a resources help procurers to 'buy
accessible'.  The toolkit has been delayed, but as soon as it is available
I will post the mailing list.

All this draft material will eventually be incorporated into the new
accessIT.nda.ie website.  Please note that I have not attempted to rewrite
the web, telecoms and software application guidelines on the current site.
 With WCAG 2.0 coming out I didn't see the point in trying to paraphrase
another set of fairly well written guidelines.  Instead we are attempting
to provide resources to assist people with procuring, developing,
designing, publishing to and auditing accessible websites.   Most of these
resources, Smart Cards aside, answer queries that I get asked most
frequently.

I look forward to your feedback.  The Smart Card guidelines are currently
in MS Word format.  If anyone needs this in another format please let me
know.  Everything else is in HTML.

I hope to relaunch the NDA IT Accessibility guidelines website later in
the summer.

Regards,
Dónal Rice
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or enttities other than the intended recipient is prohibated. If you received this in erro, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. It is the policy of the National Disability Authority to disallow the sending of offensive material and should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also mailminder at nda.gov.ie".