'

[Irl-dean] A Comparative Investigation of the Accessibility Levels of Irish Websites

Matthew Ovington matthew.ovington at openinterface.ie
Mon May 15 11:43:19 IST 2006

Hi Vivienne

Could you please tell me if I can get a digital copy? A download would
be great. I'm also going to give your mail address to a girl called
Mairead de Roiste who is doing a related study (more specifically into
online GIS, planning and accessibility) but I'm sure she'd like to read it.

Best regards, and good luck with it.

Matthew

vivienne trulock wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I am printing my dissertation on Tuesday, the topic of which is "A
> Comparative Investigation of the Accessibility Levels of Irish
> Websites". If anyone would like a copy please forward your name and
> address before then, so I know how many to have printed. The abstract
> is below.
>
> Vivienne
>
> Abstract
>
> The importance of access to the world wide web cannot be
> underestimated. This is particularly so for those individuals who are
> disabled in such a way as to render access to traditional media
> difficult to attain or to use effectively. Online accessibility has
> recently become a focus of both EU and Irish legislation. A
> communication from the EU Commission in September 2001, proposed an
> initiative dedicated to achieving accessibility of both public and
> private Web sites during the European Year of Disabled, 2003.
>
> In 2002, Dr. Barry McMullin carried out the Web Accessibility
> Reporting Project (WARP), a baseline study of the accessibility of
> Irish websites (McMullin, 2002). This dissertation uses the same
> sample of websites and assesses their accessibility and compliance
> levels in 2005. In addition, the research addresses the limitations of
> the WARP study by examining the 'manual checks'. Verification by
> disabled users is also a priority. The research includes building an
> AAA accessible dynamic website whereby disabled users can comment on
> and rate the websites which claim to be accessible. The results will
> be made available as an online resource. The findings of the research
> are summarised below.
>
> Accessibility levels have increased among the 152 sites tested in 2002
> during the WARP study. This is clearly indicated by the automatic
> testing compliance results, attained using WebXact online, which have
> risen from the 2002 levels of 6.3%, 0% and 0% respectively for
> Compliancy Levels A, AA and AAA to 36.2%, 8.6% and 3.3% in 2005.
>
> Further manual checks on the same sites indicate that the actual
> compliance levels for 2005 are 1.3%, 0% and 0% for A, AA and AAA
> Compliance Levels respectively. While over a third of web developers
> know about accessibility (as indicated by the 55 sites which are
> compliant with the automatic checks at level A), the automatic checks
> have become the standard, and fully testing the sites against the WCAG
> 1.0 guidelines is generally not done.
> Of the sites which claimed accessibility, either by displaying a W3C
> or Bobby compliance logo, or in text on their accessibility statement
> page, 60% claimed a higher level than their automatic testing results
> indicated. When these sites were further manually checked it was found
> that 100% of sites in the sample claimed a higher level of WCAG
> compliance than was actually the case.
>
> Most sites in the sample were not compliant with the WCAG 1.0 for the
> [...]

Best regards

Matthew

Open Interface Ltd
International House, Tara Street, Dublin 2
phone: +353 1 6360957        fax: +353 1 6360958
http://www.openinterface.ie

This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
privileged. The information is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
contents is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify the sender by telephone or return
email and delete the material from your computer.