'

[Irl-dean] Fw: [i2010-inclusion] Extending Deadline on WCAG 2.0 Last Call Review (22 June 2006 instead of 31 May 2006)

Gerry Ellis gerry.ellis at feelthebenefit.com
Sat Jun 3 10:15:38 IST 2006

Hi,

Last chance saloon ...

Gerry Ellis
t/a Feel The BenefIT

Tel   (+353-1) 282-7791
Mob   (085) 716-8665
email gerry.ellis at feelthebenefit.com

If you don't know where you're going,
How will you know when you get there?

----- Original Message -----
From: Francisco Godinho
To: i2010-inclusion
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:39 AM
Subject: [i2010-inclusion] Extending Deadline on WCAG 2.0 Last Call Review (22 June 2006 instead of 31 May 2006)

Letter:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2006AprJun/0083.html

Dear WAI Interest Group Participants:

Please note that the deadline for comments on WCAG 2.0 has been extended by
three weeks. The new deadline is now Thursday 22 June 2006 instead of 31
May 2006, to allow more time due to the wider attention that this Last Call
Working Draft is receiving. We thank early commenters for the numerous
constructive comments that the Working Group has already received; the
Working Group is already working on your comments. Please also note the
following clarifications with regard to the review process.

1. The deadline for comments on the Last Call Working Draft only applies to
the Guidelines document itself. The supporting documents ("Understanding
WCAG 2.0" and "Techniques for WCAG 2.0") do not have a deadline for
comments, though you may find them helpful in understanding or implementing
the provisions in the guidelines. We welcome comments on the supporting
documents in addition to comments on the guidelines, but we encourage you
to focus your attention on the relatively short guidelines document itself
during the review period.

2. While the Working Group has provided a form for comment submissions, you
may also email comments directly to the comments list without the form.
Some commenters have already done this; we've now made this more obvious in
the commenting instructions [1]. However, if you do use the comments form,
it will give the Working Group consistent and specific information that can
help them better understand and address the issues that you raise.

3. Under W3C Process, a "Last Call Working Draft" is not the last step
before the document is finished; neither is it the beginning of the review
process. This Last Call Working Draft follows a series of Public Working
Drafts that have been previously circulated for comment, and the Working
Group has already incorporated extensive contributions from those reviews.
Last Call Working Draft is one of the most important stages at which to
comment; however it is followed by another stage, Candidate Recommendation,
where reviewers can submit comments based on implementations of WCAG 2.0;
then by Proposed Recommendation, when W3C Members review it for approval as
a Recommendation. Please see the original call for review further down in
this message, and the commenting instructions [1], which provide more
information on these stages.

Review comments are extremely valuable to W3C/WAI. One of the strengths of
W3C/WAI's process is that it encourages broad public review and
participation from many different perspectives. We have received
contributions throughout the course of developing WCAG 2.0 from individuals
and organizations around the world, including disability organizations,
industry, Web developers research, education, government, and other areas,
as well as contributions throughout the process from the diverse membership
of the WCAG Working Group itself.

If you haven't yet, I encourage you to read the guidelines while they are
in Last Call Working Draft; evaluate them against your own needs and
expectations; then share with the Working Group your comments on what you
think needs to change in the document. As with any W3C group during Last
Call, the WCAG Working Group will review and respond to all comments