'

[Irl-dean] Blind inventor makes web accessible

Joshue O Connor joshue.oconnor at ncbi.ie
Tue Jun 6 17:09:54 IST 2006

This is an interesting article. As Barry mentions in the quote below, Chris Mairs has invented a device that
people can use to access MP3 files, podcasts and other audio goodies from the web, but invites users not to think of the device as a "computer" and induce all of the inherent horrors the term can conjure up for many, but as a tape recorder.

I especially like his comment on how the visual model of computer/GUI interface design is essentially completely "wrong"
for a blind user, as they view/interact with these interfaces more as a "one-dimensional audio stream".

Josh