'

[Irl-dean] TerminalFour and accessibility

Colm McBarron colm.mcbarron at iqcontent.com
Fri Jun 9 17:01:57 IST 2006

Hi Mark,

I've worked with a lot of Content management systems - from Open
source to Enterprise Wide Systems - and all of them have problems
when it comes to accessibility.

In an Irish context, the public sector effort to improve website
accessibility has forced the main vendors to ensure that their
systems can produce and maintain standards compliant websites. And
TerminalFour, in particular, has done a reasonably good job.

TerminalFour's Site Manager system allows the web master or
administrator to specify and control the HTML output. So if the web
master understands how to design an accessible website, the content
management system will publish and maintain an accessible website.

Design flaws in the the WYSIWYG editor include the fact that content
copied directly from MS Word document results in non standard HTML
tags when published and the table editor does not input the heading
tags by default.

(More savvy organisations using Site Manager - such as Meath County
Council - have put in place author training programs and include
accessibility checks as part of their publishing workflow to overcome
these limitations.)

All content management systems contain numerous interface design &
usability problems. The TerminalFour interface is relatively good
(compared to other CMSs that I've worked with) and most content
authors are generally up and running quite quickly.

But unfortunately the application interface (from the Log in screen
through to the WYSIWYG Interface) is inaccessible to a blind or
visually impaired user (doesn't work at all with JAWS) and it would
be very difficult for someone to use without a mouse.

I've heard of a number of systems that claim that their interface is
accessible, but I haven't tested these claims.

Colm