'

[Irl-dean] Emails and Screen Readers?

Tim Culhane tim.culhane at criticalpath.net
Thu Jul 27 08:11:47 IST 2006

Hi Brendan,

I think you might be  under a bit of a misconception as to how the modern
screen reader works.

Screen  readers today are extremely customisable and you can  configure the
screen reader to behave differently on the fly, on a per application basis,
or across all applications.

It is possible to read by character, line,  paragraph or entire  document in
one go.

It is possible to stop reading instantly at any time with a single key
stroke.

For example, with Jaws,  hit the control key and speech ceases.

You can configure punctuation  levels so that groups of punctuation  symbols
are not spoken,  or even  one particular symbol  can be silenced.

You can configure the screen reader to  substitute  the name of one symbol
for another, i.e.  I could set up jaws to say the word 'dot'  every time it
sees a full stop, rather than have it say  'period'.

Naturally, there is no way of overcoming  the problem of bad spelling,  but
its something you get used to when listening to synthetic speech.  Its just
like when reading a mispelt word with your eyes,  the brain can work out
from the context  the correct word.

So no,   the disclaimers at the end of a message are not a problem.  I just
stop speech, hit escape  and I'm back in the message list.

Cheers,

Tim