'

[Irl-dean] Emails and Screen Readers?

Mark Magennis Mark.magennis at ncbi.ie
Thu Jul 27 10:15:48 IST 2006

> 1. Do screen readers read disclaimers every time they encounter them
> or do the major email providers have some sort of script which stops
> the reader at the end of the relevant content?

If the disclaimer is just more text added on to the end of a text
message then no software - screen reader or email client - will be
able to tell where the message body ends and the disclaimer starts,
except by the application of some advanced artificial intelligence.

For disclaimers or signatures to be reliably detected, they would
have to be marked up as such in a machine readable way. I'm not
completely sure about any of this, but my guess is that this does not
happen with plain text emails, almost certainly does not happen
either with Rich Text emails and could happen with HTML emails, but
probably doesn't. Even if there is a way of tagging the disclaimer in
an HTML email, I would bet that few email clients recognise it.

> How do they feel about the following common punctuation usages…
>
>>> to show quotes?

Your email client probably displays quotes using chevrons ('greater
than' symbols) before each line of the quoted text. My email client
(Mac Mail) displays it as a solid border to the left of the paragraph
being quoted, with a single border for a direct quote, a double
border for a quote of a quote, a triple border for a quote of a quote
of a quote, etc. Additionally, it uses different colours for each
quote level, so a direct quote has the text and border in blue, quote
of a quote is green and quote of a quote of a quote is black. You can
set the colours to whatever you want.

The email I receive is just text and contains chevrons at the start
of some lines. So Mac Mail is interpreting these chevrons as
indicating a quote. It is feasible that a screen reader could do the
same, so when it sees a chevron at the start of a line it could say
"quote" then when it comes to a line with no chevron it could say
"end of quote". Or it could use a different voice for what it thinks
are quoted lines. I imagine it would get a bit more complicated and
more difficult for the user to follow with more than one level of
quoting. Tim do screen readers ever do this kind of thing, of does
everyone just put up with hearing "greater than greater than" all the
time and figure it out for themselves?

The problem with this interpretation approach is that really it's
just guessing. The client assumes that chevrons at the start of lines
always mean quotes and sometimes it gets it wrong. For instance,
where you have written "> > > to show quotes?", my mail client
assumes, wrongly, that this is a third level quote. So markup would
be better.

> - between words?
>
> / between words?
>
> … at the end of a sentence ?

These are normal in written language. not specific to emails, so I'm
sure screen readers and screen reader users have figured out how to
handle them sensibly.

> even bad spelling?

It's ironic. Some of the worst spellers are screen reader users
themselves! They often spell phonetically. But the human brain is
good at interpreting misspelt words correctly, whereas the screen
reader is not good at it. I imagine it can be a pain sometimes, but
again it's not just to do with email. I'm also one of the worst
spellers, but I pass everything I write through a spell checker, so
you wouldn't know. Incidentally, my spell checker tells me your
signature contains a misspelling - "recieved" instead of "received"

Mark

> Dont even ask how I thought of this but any information on this is
> very much appreciated.
>
> With regards
>
> Brendan Spillane
>

> P.S. for any users of screen readers I apologise if you have had to
> read the info below every time I have posted on this list.
>

> --
> http://www.ilikecake.net
> +353 1 658 4081
>
> The information in this email (including attachments) is intended
> solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If you have recieved this in error please notify
> the sender and delete the material from your computer. Any
> retransmission of the contents of this mail is forbidden without the
> written consent of the sender. ilikecake limited does not accept
> liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or
> any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent.

Dr. Mark Magennis
Director of the Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland
Whitworth Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
www.cfit.ie

mark.magennis at ncbi.ie   tel: +353 (0)71 914 7464