'

[Irl-dean] Emails and Screen Readers?

Mark Magennis Mark.magennis at ncbi.ie
Thu Jul 27 11:23:00 IST 2006

> I'm not even sure what help the '>' symbol is for indicating
> quoting.  I
> always see it  as showing that the message has been forwarded by
> somebody
> else,  either  once twice  or more times, depending on the number
> of '>'
> symbols.

This is an unwanted side effect of the forwarding chain for funny
little ditties. Each forwarding treats the ditty as a quote, because
that's what the email client has been set up to do. However, it's not
really intended to be a quote at all, you just want to send it on to
someone else. Conceptually, replying or forwarding whilst quoting and
attributing the original is different from just sending some
interesting ditty on to everyone you know. It's just that most people
use the same mechanism. For the interesting ditties you can happily
strip all the quote marks without losing any information, but if you
are actually attributing quotes, then that information is important.