'

[Irl-dean] U N e-accessibility Day, dec. 3rd

brendan spillane brendan at ilikecake.net
Fri Aug 18 15:15:19 IST 2006

>We can bring in a few web users with disabilities to demonstrate how
>they use the web with their assistive technologies and go through the
>webmasters' own sites with them.

I will admit that there is a part of me that would enjoy seeing a room
full of embarrassed webmasters, preferable the kind who don't thing
that accessibility is the way to go.

There is of course the problem that it is usually a manager further up
the chain that decides if the website is to be redeveloped, but that
is a fight for another day. Educating webmasters is certainly a great
first step.

On 18/08/06, Mark Magennis <Mark.magennis at ncbi.ie> wrote:

> On 15 Aug 2006, at 12:00, Eoin Campbell wrote:
>
> > What about an informal practical workshop focusing on Irish public
> > sector websites,
> > and how they might be improved. Invite webmasters to come along and
> > subject their own sites to
> > constructive criticism and suggestions.
>
> This is a great idea. How about giving it a "meet the users" slant.
> We can bring in a few web users with disabilities to demonstrate how
> they use the web with their assistive technologies and go through the
> webmasters' own sites with them. We've done this in CFIT and it's a
> great way of demystifying accessibility and getting people in touch
> with what it is all about on a practical level.
>
> On 17 Aug 2006, at 15:35, brendan spillane wrote:
>
> > I definitely thing this is a great idea, maybe split it up into
> > different levels of workshop.
>
> We could run a number of events at different locations aimed at
> different audiences. CFIT would be interested in running a "meet the
> users" day in our user testing facility. Donal could launch the new
> guidelines at the NDA. We could also run some kind of workshop in
> conjunction with the Irish Internet Association. I've spoken to
> Fergal O'Byrne in the IIA recently and he is very interested in
> running accessibility events. In particular, I would like to do an
> event about accessible IT procurement, although Donal will be
> launching the Procurement Toolkit as part of the new guidelines
> content. Maybe we could hold a procurement seminar at the NDA after
> the guidelines launch?
>
> Mark

> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments
> is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
> recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of
> the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify
> the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to
> delete it and any attachments from your system.
>
> NCBI endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated
> by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However,
> it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are
> transmitted.  We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>
> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email
> and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
> represent the views of NCBI

http://www.ilikecake.net
+353 1 658 4081

The information in this email (including attachments) is intended
solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this in error please notify
the sender and delete the material from your computer. Any
retransmission of the contents of this mail is forbidden without the
written consent of the sender. ilikecake limited does not accept
liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or
any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent.