'

[Irl-dean] U N e-accessibility Day, dec. 3rd

Mark Magennis Mark.magennis at ncbi.ie
Tue Aug 22 11:01:57 IST 2006

> I will admit that there is a part of me that would enjoy seeing a room
> full of embarrassed webmasters

The aim is not to embarrass them Brendan! I imagine that would be
counterproductive. It's like the email I have received from time to
time from people saying "I notice your website is completely
inaccessible and total crap. I can fix it for you for a small fee".
Even if I agreed with them, I certainly wouldn't be giving them my
business! No, we want it to be a more of a cozy loved-up get together
kind of thing.

> There is of course the problem that it is usually a manager further up
> the chain that decides if the website is to be redeveloped, but that
> is a fight for another day. Educating webmasters is certainly a great
> first step.

Yes, but it is often more than just the webmaster who comes to these
things. We invited a large semi state in the other day for one of our
'user experience' sessions. Three of them came along - the Corporate
Affairs Manager, the Access Officer and a webmaster/developer.
Anyway, I guess the point of having a number of different events is
that the different events can be targeted at people in different
positions.

Mark

> [...]
>> > sector websites,
>> > and how they might be improved. Invite webmasters to come along and
>> > subject their own sites to
>> > constructive criticism and suggestions.
>>
>> This is a great idea. How about giving it a "meet the users" slant.
>> We can bring in a few web users with disabilities to demonstrate how
>> they use the web with their assistive technologies and go through the
>> webmasters' own sites with them. We've done this in CFIT and it's a
>> great way of demystifying accessibility and getting people in touch
>> with what it is all about on a practical level.
>>
>> On 17 Aug 2006, at 15:35, brendan spillane wrote:
>>
>> > I definitely thing this is a great idea, maybe split it up into
>> > different levels of workshop.
>>
>> We could run a number of events at different locations aimed at
>> different audiences. CFIT would be interested in running a "meet the
>> users" day in our user testing facility. Donal could launch the new
>> guidelines at the NDA. We could also run some kind of workshop in
>> conjunction with the Irish Internet Association. I've spoken to
>> Fergal O'Byrne in the IIA recently and he is very interested in
>> running accessibility events. In particular, I would like to do an
>> event about accessible IT procurement, although Donal will be
>> launching the Procurement Toolkit as part of the new guidelines
>> content. Maybe we could hold a procurement seminar at the NDA after
>> the guidelines launch?
>>
>> Mark

>> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments
>> is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
>> recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of
>> the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify
>> the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to
>> delete it and any attachments from your system.
>>
>> NCBI endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated
>> by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However,
>> it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are
>> transmitted.  We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>>
>> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email
>> and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
>> represent the views of NCBI

> --
> http://www.ilikecake.net
> +353 1 658 4081
>
> The information in this email (including attachments) is intended
> solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If you have received this in error please notify
> the sender and delete the material from your computer. Any
> retransmission of the contents of this mail is forbidden without the
> written consent of the sender. ilikecake limited does not accept
> liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or
> any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent.

Dr. Mark Magennis
Director of the Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland
Whitworth Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
www.cfit.ie

mark.magennis at ncbi.ie   tel: +353 (0)71 914 7464