'

[Irl-dean] Accessibility of visual challenge response systems

Barry McMullin mcmullin at eeng.dcu.ie
Fri Sep 8 09:40:55 IST 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Laurence Veale wrote:

> I've just blogged on the "Accessibility of visual challenge response
> systems" and am interested in your comments on it.

Hi Guys -

There is a useful W3C resource on this here:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/>

In regard to ticketmaster in Ireland, the situation is much
worse than might appear from Laurence's description.

One can argue over the principle of re-directing visually
impaired uses to a "second class" telephone booking service - but
at least, on the face of it, it suggests that ticketmaster are
aware of the problems of visually impaired users and are trying
to mitigate them.

Except that once you dig further, you find that their system is
completely bizarre and does not work at all.

A friend recently went through this process. When he finally got
through to the special number - which took many attempts - he was
told that this line could *only* be used to book wheelchair
access to the venue. He patiently explained that, last time he
checked, there was actually nothing wrong with his legs, and he
just wanted to book a plain ordinary seat.  But they said that it
was impossible for them to book this - that can only be done over
the web.

Gotcha.

Best - Barry.