'

[Irl-dean] Accessibility of visual challenge response systems

Paul Walsh, Segala paul at segala.com
Fri Sep 8 11:05:05 IST 2006

This sounds like the Tesco.com story I'm about to tell.  I'm not sure this
has been picked up properly by anyone.

Tesco redesigned their accessible alternative Web site recently. Their news
release stated that Tesco.com can intelligently detect a user's capabilities
and then render the most appropriate skin. This technique happens but only
for blind users who access the site using a screen reader. I haven't tested
the site but I'm confident I'd find more issues.

My gripe doesn't lie within the fact that Tesco has redesigned the
accessible alternative for a second time. I have an issue with this approach
because unless you use a screen reader, or know what the URL is, it's
technically impossible to find the alternative site, let alone access it.

So, Tesco is purposely providing access only to blind users, and purposely
excluding access to other users. Could this be deemed worse than the
ignorance of a company that just doesn't realise the needs of some people?

Tesco in my opinion is either being mislead or it is misleading people about
the true extent of their dedication to accessibility.

I keen to hear what you think about this approach. E-Consultancy
(www.e-consultancy.com) asked me to comment on the initial news release but
I decided against it because of the consultants responsible for advising
Tesco.

However I might change my mind in the hope that this method isn't adopted by
anyone else.

Kind regards,