'

[Irl-dean] Useful resource

Claude Saulnier claude.saulnier at wandsoft.com
Thu Sep 21 10:48:32 IST 2006

Hi all

I have recently jumped into the world of how to make websites accessible and
enjoyed the IRL Dean seminar. I am already looking forward to the next one.
It certainly was a good start for me and I have met a number of people that
have helped me understand some of the issues people with disabilities are
facing on the web, especially Graham from Queen's University.

I had a very interesting conversation with Adrian McMahon (Segala) yesterday
and as a result we are in the process of signing up with Segala's affiliate
programme. We discussed a couple of innovative ideas we are thinking of
building in our CMS to help disabled people. While talking to Adrian, I
realised that children have similar issues. I am considering working with my
6 year old son to see if he can test some of the features.

Although it has yet to be a requirement from our clients, we have decided to
be pro-active. We are in the process of building sites for high profile
clients and are making the issue of accessibility very high. Our current
site is far from being accessible. For those who speak french, we have this
expression in France "c'est le coordonier le plus mal chaussé". Since it is
currently being redevelopped, we will make sure it is accessible.

In our case, our content management software do not impose any constraints
on design. Despite this, we have found it is very simple to implement
accessibility until you reach the issue of educating clients to put
meaningful content.

On a recent search I have found this great resource that helped me putting
things in perspective:
http://diveintoaccessibility.org/table_of_contents.html. I hope it is of
interest.

Regards

Claude

--
Claude Saulnier
Managing Director

WANDSOFT : Simplifying e-Business!

43 Sundrive Road, Kimmage, Dublin 12, Ireland
phone: +353 1 492 0186
web: www.WANDSOFT.com
mail: claude.saulnier at WANDSOFT.com
skype: WANDSOFT