'

[Irl-dean] RE: Irl-dean digest, Vol 1 #340 - 4 msgs

Joshue O Connor joshue.oconnor at ncbi.ie
Tue Oct 3 12:02:09 IST 2006

Hi Rahim,

If you haven't already come across it you could also have look at this
device developed by Royal National College for the Blind, in the UK.
There was a demonstration here in NCBI a while back and I think it may
be useful for your friend. Its called the T3 and its a talking
tactile device.

For more visit:

http://www.rncb.ac.uk/t3/index.html

It is a touch screen which you can lay pre-prepared tactile diagrams and
maps etc on and when you press a part of the
diagram the T3 will read out what it is. You will not get engineering
precision from it but it could be very useful. If you like the look of
it I should be able to arrange a demonstration for you as NCBI have one
in house, (in house meaning floating around the county somewhere).

If it does turn out to be suitable for your friend they should contact
the college and inform them that this device suits his/her requirements
and the college should then purchase it so other students could also use it.

I hope this helps.