'

[Irl-dean] Introduction

Mark Magennis Mark.magennis at ncbi.ie
Tue Oct 3 14:53:36 IST 2006

Hi Graham. Glad to have you on board. Can you say more about your
interest in improved access to public exhibitions? It's an area we're
looking at within NCBI at the moment. Audio tours for vision impaired
visitors. Probably far more simple than what you're thinking of -
haptics perhaps? Incidentally, how much is a Phantom these days?

Wouldn't mind talking to you about Enabled too, though that's a long
conversation, not an email. Do you veer come down to Dublin? Perhaps
for a future Irl-DeAN event?

Mark

On 3 Oct 2006, at 14:22, Graham McAllister wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I also have recently become a member of Irl-dean, here's a short bio.
>
> I'm a lecturer in Music Technology at the Sonic Arts Research
> Centre at Queen's University Belfast.  My research is focussed on
> the area of Accessibility and I'm currently involved in 3 projects
> in this area.  I'll give a brief description of each.
>
> 1. Multimodal feedback of internet information.  Using audio and
> haptics to convey visual information in the area of web browsing.
> Project website www.web4blind.org
>
> 2. ENABLED - Enhanced Network Accessibility for the Blind and
> Visually Impaired.  This is an IST FP6 funded project aiming to
> improve access to digital information for blind and visually
> impaired users.  Project website www.enabledweb.org
>
> 3. Improved access to public exhibitions.  This project aims to
> improve the accessibility of public exhibitions such as art
> galleries, museums etc, by using novel technologies.
>
> I'm also interested in designing Accessible games, I've recently
> completed a three month industrial placement working for a computer
> games company in Denmark.  At SARC we've also just finished
> creating a technology that allows for the rapid creation of
> computer games using the PHANTOM Omni, this should provide exciting
> opportunities for designing accessible games with haptics in the
> future.
>
> I am also director of a company that provides consultancy in
> Accessibility and Usability.
>
> Think that's it!
>
> Graham.
>

> Dr Graham McAllister
> Sonic Arts Research Centre
> Queen's University Belfast
>
> T. +44(0)28 9097 5492
> F. +44(0)28 9097 4828
> W. www.qub.ac.uk/sarc
>
> On 3 Oct 2006, at 13:51, Cliff wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I'm a new member to the Irl-dean mailing list Hugh has asked me
>> to drop
>> you a quick introductory mail - so here it goes!
>>
>> My name is Cliff Cottell, I work for a company called Enhance.ie
>> where I'm a
>> web designer. I got interested in web standards and accessibility
>> through
>> working on sites for clients that needed these features. I have
>> found this
>> to be a highly interesting and worthy calling - so to that end I
>> am trying
>> to learn all I can about it and put it into practise. Websites
>> developed
>> using XHTML & CSS along with the W3C guidelines just make sense to
>> me and
>> our company. To that end our company is setting up a business unit
>> called
>> AUdesign.com (Accessibility & Usability design) to promote the
>> idea of
>> design for all. Our new website should be up and running within a
>> few weeks.

> [...]

Dr. Mark Magennis
Director of the Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland
Whitworth Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
www.cfit.ie

mark.magennis at ncbi.ie   tel: +353 (0)71 914 7464