'

[Irl-dean] Introduction

brendan spillane brendan at ilikecake.net
Wed Oct 4 12:49:16 IST 2006

Hi Grahm,

Good to have you on the list.

Brendan

On 03/10/06, Graham McAllister <g.mcallister at qub.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> For the improved access to public exhibitions we initially looked at
> a very high-tech solution.  This used ultrasonics to track users in
> 3D space.  Essentially this technology just wasn't ready (this
> project was over 1 year ago), and still has problems.
>
> The company I founded use more standard solutions, in particular, we
> use Sony's PSP and the GP2X handheld gaming devices.  These devices
> work well for blind (using audio), visually impaired (user can zoom
> in to enhance the image), and sighted users (full multimedia
> experience).  We can also develop games for the handheld which tie in
> with museum exhibitions, this makes it exciting for children and of
> course is educational also.
> I'd be happy to talk to you about the solutions we have and the
> advantages they offer over standard audio tours for example. E-mail
> me outside of the mailing list for more information.
>
> I hope to participate in as many Irl-DeAN events as possible, I do
> have a bit more time this semester as I'm on sabbatical, normal
> lecturing load will resume again on February 2007.
>
> Best  wishes,
> Graham.
>

> On 3 Oct 2006, at 14:53, Mark Magennis wrote:
>
> > Hi Graham. Glad to have you on board. Can you say more about your
> > interest in improved access to public exhibitions? It's an area
> > we're looking at within NCBI at the moment. Audio tours for vision
> > impaired visitors. Probably far more simple than what you're
> > thinking of - haptics perhaps? Incidentally, how much is a Phantom
> > these days?
> >
> > Wouldn't mind talking to you about Enabled too, though that's a
> > long conversation, not an email. Do you veer come down to Dublin?
> > Perhaps for a future Irl-DeAN event?
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > On 3 Oct 2006, at 14:22, Graham McAllister wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I also have recently become a member of Irl-dean, here's a short bio.
> >>
> >> I'm a lecturer in Music Technology at the Sonic Arts Research
> >> Centre at Queen's University Belfast.  My research is focussed on
> >> the area of Accessibility and I'm currently involved in 3 projects
> >> in this area.  I'll give a brief description of each.
> >>
> >> 1. Multimodal feedback of internet information.  Using audio and
> >> haptics to convey visual information in the area of web browsing.
> >> Project website www.web4blind.org
> >>
> >> 2. ENABLED - Enhanced Network Accessibility for the Blind and
> >> Visually Impaired.  This is an IST FP6 funded project aiming to
> >> improve access to digital information for blind and visually
> >> impaired users.  Project website www.enabledweb.org
> >>
> >> 3. Improved access to public exhibitions.  This project aims to
> >> improve the accessibility of public exhibitions such as art
> >> galleries, museums etc, by using novel technologies.
> >>
> >> I'm also interested in designing Accessible games, I've recently
> >> completed a three month industrial placement working for a
> [...]

http://www.ilikecake.net
+353 1 658 4081

The information in this email (including attachments) is intended
solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this in error please notify
the sender and delete the material from your computer. Any
retransmission of the contents of this mail is forbidden without the
written consent of the sender. ilikecake limited does not accept
liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or
any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent.