'

[Irl-dean] CTSD is focal point for WSIS follow-up

Mark Magennis Mark.magennis at ncbi.ie
Fri Oct 6 12:11:34 IST 2006

Thanks for that Frank, but I've read it three times and I still don't
understand a word of it :-{

I'm probably not alone. I don't know what WSIS is or was, I don't
know how NGOs have been participating in the work of the Commission
and I don't know what a development orientation is. Is this something
I should know about do you think, or is it only of relevance to
people who are already involved in WSIS? I'm concerned because I am
involved to a small amount extent in Commission work (representing
EDF, providing feedback on Commission consultations on behalf of EBU,
etc.) so maybe I ought to know about this, or even be involved? I
wonder, could you explain briefly what this announcement means for
people with disabilities and access to ICT and what opportunities are
being presented for people like us to do things that make a difference?

Thanks,
Mark

On 6 Oct 2006, at 09:47, Frank Mulcahy wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I enclose some news which may be of interest to some.
>
> The Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD)
> will assist the Council as the focal point in the system-wide
> follow-up of WSIS.
>
> It was agreed that this would entail a strong development
> orientation and that the Commission would be strengthened in its
> substantive capacity through the effective and meaningful
> participation of Member States in its work. While preserving the
> inter-governmental nature of the Commission, ECOSOC decided that
> CSTD should make use of the successful multi-stakeholder approach
> that was pioneered by WSIS.
> During the next two sessions (2007 and 2008), the deliberations of
> CSTD will therefore be open not only to NGOs in consultative status
> with ECOSOC, but also, after approval by ECOSOC, to other
> interested NGOs and civil society entities who were accredited to
> WSIS. As this interim solution is valid only for two years, those
> entities who wish to participate in the work of the Commission for
> more than only two years should apply for consultative status with
> ECOSOC immediately. Business entities will also be able to
> participate in the work of the Commission, on approval by ECOSOC.
> The CSTD Secretariat will provide information about the approval
> procedures in due course.
> Best wishes,
>
> Frank
>
> Frank Mulcahy,
> 'Franmar',
> 2 Castle Village Court,
> Celbridge,
> Co. Kildare
> Ireland
>
> Tel.: +353 (0)1 627 1314
> Mobile/Cell Phone: +353 (0)87 2344 934
> E-mail: fmulcahy at iol.ie  or
> frankmulcahy2005 at yahoo.co.uk

Dr. Mark Magennis
Director of the Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)
National Council for the Blind of Ireland
Whitworth Road, Dublin 9, Republic of Ireland
www.cfit.ie

mark.magennis at ncbi.ie   tel: +353 (0)71 914 7464