'

[Irl-dean] CTSD is focal point for WSIS follow-up

Frank Mulcahy fmulcahy at iol.ie
Sun Oct 8 11:25:10 IST 2006

Hi Mark,

I know very little about it but this was sent to me to try and encourage
disability organisations to take notice of what is happening, to register
with ECOSOC and to try and attend the meetings.

I believe that the core issue is here is access to information, especially
when it is electronic, and while the obvious people who are affected are
those who are blind it still impacts on other impairment (disability)
groupings.

There are also much bigger issues here and I was sent the message because
people believed that as many as possible should participate in those CTSD
meetings.  Apparently this group will meet in Geneva but there is no funding
available for people to attend.  There are many  people attending to website
accessibility but one also needs up to date software and hardware and this
is where we come in.  There has been a disability presence at the WSIS
meetings but, I  believe, that there won't be at the upcoming IGF meeting.

I hope that the above explains all that I know on the subject.

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank Mulcahy,
'Franmar',