'

[Irl-dean] Great evening and Question

Frank Mulcahy fmulcahy at iol.ie
Wed Oct 11 09:55:58 IST 2006

MessageHi Claude,

There are no definite figures in relation to the numbers of disabled people in Ireland.  Census 2002, which Hugh has sent you a link to, was the first Census to ask a question on disability.  This was repeated in last years Census.  However, it must be stressed that this was a voluntary disclosure and the figures could not be taken as absolute figures.

The Commission on the Status of People with Disability in Ireland in its report in November 2006 estimated that there was a prevalence of 10% of disabled people in Ireland.  This is also the figure that is taken by the European Commission as to the numbers of disabled people in the European Union.  Thus in Ireland there would be over 400,000 people who have a disability.  Added to that could be the population of elderly people, pregnant women, people with broken legs etc. and you could look at a population, in the terminology used by the European Commission, of people with reduced mobility.

Hope this helps and you can mail me if you think that I could be of any help.

Best wishes,

Frank

Frank Mulcahy,
'Franmar',
2 Castle Village Court,
Celbridge,
Co. Kildare
Ireland

Tel.: +353 (0)1 627 1314
Mobile/Cell Phone: +353 (0)87 2344 934
E-mail: fmulcahy at iol.ie  or
frankmulcahy2005 at yahoo.co.uk
  Hi

  Thanks to Segala for that evening. Great to put faces on names and to share some ideas on accessibility.

  I am giving a presentation on the 9th November to the Franco-Irish business community on e-Business (details to come) and I have decided to include a part on Accessibility as I think it might be a good opportunity to educate business managers and business owners. I was thinking of giving simple examples with a color blind person and a blind person.

  Here is the question:
  Where can I can statistics with % of disabilities. Where I am coming from is to explain to business managers and business owners is that they would be foolish to ignore the issue.

  best regards

  Claude
  --
  Claude Saulnier

  WANDSOFT : Simplifying e-Business!

  43 Sundrive Road, Kimmage, Dublin 12, Ireland
  phone: +353 1 492 0186
  web:  www.wandsoft.com
  mail: claude.saulnier at WANDSOFT.com
  skype: WANDSOFT