'

[Irl-dean] Accessibility of PDF Format Resources?

brendan spillane brendan at ilikecake.net
Sat Nov 18 16:14:16 GMT 2006

Hi there,

First off well done Barry, I gave it one read through but I am going
to have to go back over it again before I can comment on it either
effectively or informatively.

The one thing that did come out at me and is one of the things I
always tell me self I will do some research on is how accessible are
accessible PDF?

Barry wrote
> It is possible, in principle, for authors and publishers to produce so-called "accessible >PDF"...

Josh wrote
>It requires significant, and appropriately skilled, manual effort to
>Prepare documents in this way

>From this I understand that

1. it is possible
2. it is as not just a case of describing the images etc

On a day to day basis I meet website administrators who use PDFs on
their website and in some cases they are reluctant to begin producing
these documents in an accessible format either because "this is the
way we ahev always done it" or because they just see the extra
production time etc.

Do CFIT or any other organisations/companies provide training in
producing accessible PDFs or is your stance to not use them?

Best,

Brendan

On 17/11/06, Barry McMullin <mcmullin at eeng.dcu.ie> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Joshue O Connor wrote:
> [...]
> > Couldn't agree more. And I would add to that by saying; Even if an
> > author creates an all singing all dancing 'accessible' PDF they *still*
> > should produce an accessible (X)HTML/CSS version of the document.
>
> Hi Josh -
>
> Thanks for the comments. On this final recommendation, I do agree
> with what you suggest, and it is at least implicit in the way I
> expressed the recommendation; but I'll look at possibly making it
> even more explicit!
>
> Best - Barry.

http://www.ilikecake.net
+353 1 658 4081

The information in this email (including attachments) is intended
solely for the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this in error please notify
the sender and delete the material from your computer. Any
retransmission of the contents of this mail is forbidden without the
written consent of the sender. ilikecake limited does not accept
liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or
any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent.