'

[Irl-dean] Accessibility of PDF Format Resources?

Joshue O Connor joshue.oconnor at ncbi.ie
Mon Nov 20 15:52:17 GMT 2006

Considering that Brendan has been brave enough to fall on his sword ;-)
I guess that I should also concede that Eoin has a very valid point
about the difficulty of creating accessible PDFs. Its not that difficult
(but again perception of what is difficult or not is subjective). The
situation is certainly improving (at least on the tools front) but its
just not really there *yet*, in that the awareness of how to create
accessible PDFs (say in the Irish Public sector at least) is practically
non existent, combined with the users need to have Acrobat Reader 7.0
along with JAWS 7.0, and the author having to make *sure* that 'Enable
text access for screen reader devices for the visually impaired' is
checked when using document security features, (repeat ad nauseum)...

Josh