'

[Irl-dean] Accessible CMSes

Ross Geoghegan ross.geoghegan at tcd.ie
Thu Dec 7 11:39:37 GMT 2006

Wordpress can use Markdown syntax (as well as a GUI) which is a nice may of
teaching users not to use a GUI (where you tend to get problems as people
paste junk in from Word (if using IE not through Firefox)). You write html
in a sort of email style syntax
For example

* this is an unordered list bulleter
* this is another one
* this is a third

These **words are bold**

This is a [hyperlink](http://www.hotmail.com)

Wordpress (is good and extensible if you have some PHP experience)
Www.wordpress.org

Markdown (can be implemented through perl/PHP.. And even JAVA)
http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

BBEdit a text editor for Mac is also capable of converting markdown into
clean XHTML
(if very simple template site)

As an aside - I came across Ning.com - a rather strange/interesting idea
like drupal only its open source so users can clone it and tweak and post it
back up... But you can drag your files (photos/posts) from one to the other.

Ross

____________________________

Ross Geoghegan  (ext. 2903)

Assistive Technology Officer

Student Disability Services

Room 2054 Arts Building

Trinity College Dublin

Direct Line: 01 8962903

Main Office: 01 8963111

http://www.tcd.ie/disability/services/at

Electronic mail to, from or within College may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act. http://www.tcd.ie/foi/