'

[Irl-dean] Accessible CMSes

Colm McBarron colm.mcbarron at iqcontent.com
Thu Dec 7 14:28:14 GMT 2006

Hi Eamon,

There are 2 different issues when considering CMS  accessibility:

1. The (X)HTML output from the CMS (the website).
2. The CMS interface itself.

In the last couple of years many of the CMS vendors have addressed
issues with output - including all of the ones mentioned here -
TerminalFour, pTools, Drupal etc. In other words it's possible to
create and maintain an accessible website with these systems if you
follow the WCAG during the design process.

However the interface to the CMS is where accessibility issues are a
bigger stumbling block for users and developers. The challenge here
is to design an entire (web-based) application, process, flow and UI
that can be used by people with disabilities. In our experience no
vendor has been able to do this successfully yet, but there has been
some effort in this area and one would hope to see improvements over
the next couple of years.

All the best,

Colm

Colm  McBarron
Senior Analyst
iQ Content Ltd
Usability | Accessibility | Content | Search
http://www.iqcontent.com

Tel: +353 1 817 0768
Mobile: +353 87 917 5706
Email: colm.mcbarron at iqcontent.com