'

[Retrieved]Re: [Irl-dean] Accessible CMSes

Bob Allen ballen at crc.ie
Fri Dec 8 11:14:41 GMT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: irl-dean-admin at list.eeng.dcu.ie [mailto:irl-dean-admin at list.eeng.dcu.ie]On Behalf Of Colm McBarron
Sent: 07 December 2006 14:28
To: irl-dean at list.eeng.dcu.ie
Subject: [Retrieved]Re: [Irl-dean] Accessible CMSes

Hi Eamon,

There are 2 different issues when considering CMS  accessibility:

1. The (X)HTML output from the CMS (the website).
2. The CMS interface itself.

In the last couple of years many of the CMS vendors have addressed issues with output - including all of the ones mentioned here - TerminalFour, pTools, Drupal etc. In other words it's possible to create and maintain an accessible website with these systems if you follow the WCAG during the design process.

However the interface to the CMS is where accessibility issues are a bigger stumbling block for users and developers. The challenge here is to design an entire (web-based) application, process, flow and UI that can be used by people with disabilities. In our experience no vendor has been able to do this successfully yet, but there has been some effort in this area and one would hope to see improvements over the next couple of years.

All the best,

Colm

Colm  McBarron
Senior Analyst
iQ Content Ltd
Usability | Accessibility | Content | Search
http://www.iqcontent.com

Tel: +353 1 817 0768
Mobile: +353 87 917 5706
Email: colm.mcbarron at iqcontent.com