'

[Irl-dean] Use of GPS systems by vision-impaired users? Location information

Eoin Campbell ecampbell at xmlw.ie
Mon Dec 11 17:11:54 GMT 2006

Gerry Ellis recently mentioned to me that he uses a handheld GPS system to
help him get around, and I also had to provide directions to a government
office for another person with a visual disability.

Does anyone know if many visually-disabled people use a standard GPS system?
They are now widely advertised by Dixons, etc.
Are there any reviews of TomTom, etc. from the perspective of a
visually-impaired
user?

I found reviews of special GPS systems on the RNIB website at
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/publicwebsite/public_gpsnav.hcsp
but these systems are quite expensive.

So to come to the point, when providing location information to an office,
should GPS co-ordinates be included as well?

On a more general point, what information should be provided on a good
location page? My suggestion (in no particular order) is:
a. Street address
b. Public transport options (bus routes, nearest stop, etc.)
    (Should a stage/stop number be included? Does this info help anyone?)
c. Car/taxi details (free/pay parking options, disablied parking
facilities, etc.)
d. How to get there on foot, including nearby landmarks, etc.
    (Should distances be included, e.g. distance from nearest bus-stop,
junction?)
e. Opening hours
f. Wheelchair accessibility

--
Eoin Campbell, Technical Director, XML Workshop Ltd.
10 Greenmount Industrial Estate, Harolds Cross, Dublin, Ireland.