'

[CEUD-ICT] Cynthia Waddell

Donal J. Rice DJRice at nda.ie
Thu Apr 4 09:22:09 IST 2013

Dear Gerry and all,

I would like to express my own sadness on hearing the news of Cynthia's
death.

Cynthia was an instrumental figure in the development of  ICT
accessibility as a field in its own right, and an ardent and professional
advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities.  Personally I view
her as the matriarch of the the field of ICT accessibility. On her last
visit to Ireland I spent a couple of long drives and evenings trying to
"download" as much information as I could on a whole range of topics, but
there was simply no end to her knowledge.   Her involvement in disability
rights stretched back to her own childhood.  Though she did not speak of
it publicly very often, Cynthia overcame significant hearing difficulties
as a child to become, among other things, a violinist in an orchestra as
well as an eminent lawyer in the field of ICT accessibility.  It is
difficult here to try and quantify her contribution to the field of ICT
accessibility simply because she worked, as Gerry says, in every part of
the globe.  Whether advising in the White House, developing the first set
of web accessibility guidelines to be implemented into law,  or presenting
at the NDA, she was always an inspiring figure who made a significant
contribution.

Cynthia was a friend to, and a regular guest at the NDA, speaking on
topics such as public procurement [1] and American legislation on
accessible TV.

I have very many fond memories of Cynthia which I will cherish. She will
continue to inspire me personally and professionally forever.

"Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam",

Dónal.

[1]
http://www.universaldesign.ie/newsandevents/seminaraccessibleictprocurement