'

[CEUD-ICT] Motor skills and tablets

Joshue O Connor joshue.oconnor at cfit.ie
Thu Oct 17 08:49:21 IST 2013

Hi Pat and Eamon,

> on the iPad it is very easy to use Siri to dictate our Facebook entry also email messages
> in fact this whole message was sent

But speech needs to be _very_ clear, before it will work. This was a
problem that I encountered when I was working with service users in
Enable Ireland using speech recognition software like Dragon. My clients
often had cerebral palsy - and motor problems so it was on paper ideal -
but often just didn't work as speech may not have been clear.

This was 10 years ago. Has this changed? Dragon then had a 'learn'
option to suit user intonation etc but it was very hit and miss IIRC. So
with the clients I had, the 'cure' caused a lot of frustration and was
ultimately abandoned.

Dragon aside, has the vanilla speech recognition (a la Android and iOS)
improved substantially? I use my Android phone in drive mode and find it
pretty useless, you would think it would have 'learned' from me shouting
at it ;-)