'

[CEUD-ICT] Motor skills and tablets

Eamon Mag Uidhir eamon at maguidhir.com
Thu Oct 17 10:08:16 IST 2013

The needs I'm trying to satisfy would be for non-touch navigation within
content pages, including some select-and-activate interaction, with a
small amount of user text-entry. It's  also implied that no new hardware
beyond what the user would already have for working with the motor
skills issue generally should be needed. My task basically is to ensure
that nothing in the content (HTML5/CSS3/MP4) should hinder the use of
the conventional A.T. approach for each of the disability domains, and
in fact ensure that the content facilitates the use of the A.T. where
this can be implemented in the shaping of the HTML5. My problem is
figuring out what the best practice A.T.  for non-touch users of
tablets is, so I can get the content to enter into dialogue with it.

I'd guess speech control of interface and navigation is one way for
non-manual interaction, but an alternative might be some form of wand or
switch technology. Does anybody know if these have been used
successfully with tablets?

Eamon